Recommended for increased rate of weight gain in suckling and pastured growing steers; for improved feed efficiency and increased rate of weight gain in confined steers and heifers. Do not use in veal calves. Do not use in animals intended for breeding purposes.
Ideal fit for extended grazing and/or feeding periods, lightweight steer calves on feed, long-fed Holstein steer programs or simply when resources donâ€™t allow for re-implanting. Offers both stocker and feedlot producers a long-acting, flexible, convenient implant option with the added benefit of a localized antibacterial coating on every dose.
Each dose contains 43.9 mg estradiol and is coated with not less than 0.5 mg of oxytetracycline. One study showed that 1 dose of Encore lasts the entire feeding period, up to 400 days.
Directions: Insert one implant under the skin of the ear according to label directions.
When to Implant Encore:
Suckling steers - at castration or later
Pastured growing steers - at weaning or later
Finishing steers and heifers - at arrival in feedlot
Size: 20 ds
ENCORE® CONTROLLED RELEASE IMPLANTS 20 DOSE
ELANCO US, INC.
2500 INNOVATION WAY, GREENFIELD, IN, 46140
Customer Service: 317-276-1262 Technical Service: 800-428-4441 Website: www.elanco.us Email: email@example.com Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information published. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the USA product label or package insert.
Each implant consists of 43.9 mg estradiol
400 Day Controlled Release Implants
DESCRIPTION: Each Encore (estradiol implant) silicone rubber implant contains 43.9 mg estradiol and is coated with not less than 0.5 mg of oxytetracycline powder as a local antibacterial.
For subcutaneous ear implantation in steers and heifers only.
INDICATIONS: For increased rate of weight gain in suckling and pastured growing steers; for improved feed efficiency and increased rate of weight gain in confined steers and heifers. Do not use in veal calves. Effectiveness and animal safety in veal calves have not been established.
USE: An Encore Controlled Release Implant will provide an effective daily dose of estradiol for at least 400 days. No additional effectiveness may be expected from reimplanting in less than 400 days.
DIRECTIONS: Insert one implant under the skin of the ear as directed in this leaflet.
When to Implant ENCORE:
At castration or later
Pastured growing steers
At weaning or later
Finishing steers and heifers
At arrival in feedlot
WARNING: Keep out of reach of children.
A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal.
A Compudose™ (estradiol implant) or Encore (estradiol implant) Implanter must be used to implant cattle.
DIRECTIONS FOR IMPLANTATION:
Insert one implant under the skin of the ear.
1. Confine animal in a squeeze chute.
2. To reduce the possibility of infection and resulting implant loss, hygienic and antiseptic procedures should be followed during implantation. The ear should be clean and dry. The skin should be cleansed with a suitable antiseptic soap and dried prior to implanting. This is particularly important if the ears are contaminated with urine or feces.
3. To load the Compudose/Encore Implanter remove the cartridge from the package, release the latch on the magazine, open and insert the cartridge. (Figure 1)
Close the magazine and latch. Advance the cartridge to the next implant by inserting the thumb into the magazine opening and turning the cartridge to the next stop.
Use a sharp needle. The needle should be cleaned and sterilized between each injection by wiping the exterior with a sponge, cloth, or gauze saturated with an appropriate disinfectant. The presence of excessive moisture inside the needle may result in dissolving the oxytetracycline (OTC) from the implant surface and contribute to accumulation of OTC inside the needle.
4. The implant should be deposited under the skin on the back side of the middle third of the ear. It should be placed between the skin and cartilage, avoiding major blood vessels.
Grasping the tip of the ear with one hand and the implanter in the other, penetrate the skin in the outer third of the ear. (Figure 2)
IMPORTANT: Do not penetrate cartilage.
5. Upon penetration, the needle should be fully inserted (Figure 3) between the skin and cartilage, avoiding major blood vessels. Full insertion of the needle is important to maximize implant retention.
6. Pull the needle back as the implant is being deposited by squeezing the lever on the implanter grip. Figure 4 shows the implant in proper position in the middle third of the ear where the skin is tight.
7. After repeated use, sufficient oxytetracycline (OTC) from the implant may accumulate inside the needle to impede implant passage. Periodic removal of the needle from the device and washing it in water will prevent such accumulation. Before reusing, the needle should be disinfected and allowed to dry after shaking vigorously to remove excess water or disinfectant.
8. If reimplantation is desired, it is not necessary to remove the existing Encore (estradiol implant) implant. Place the second implant at the same level and parallel to, but not in contact with the existing implant or place it in the unimplanted ear in accordance with paragraphs 1-7 of these directions.
CAUTION: To maximize implant retention:
A. Fully insert the needle.
B. Deposit the implant in the middle third of the ear where the skin is tight.
C. Do not deposit the implant where the skin is loose in the third of the ear closest to the head.
The needle has been scientifically designed to maximize retention. When it becomes dull, use a new needle. If the needle is resharpened, sharpen only the point.
Failure to follow antiseptic implanting procedures, particularly when the ears are contaminated with fecal material, may result in infection and excessive implant loss. Implanting cattle during wet weather may increase infection and implant loss.
Carefully check the ears for implant loss approximately 4 weeks after implantation. If loss occurs, reimplant using recommended procedures.
CAUTION: Increased sexual activity (bulling, riding and excitability) has been reported in animals implanted with Encore. Implanted animals should be observed for such signs particularly during the first few days after implanting and animals being excessively ridden (bullers) should be removed to prevent physical injury. Vaginal and rectal prolapse have been reported in heifers implanted with Encore.
CAUTION: Do not use in animals intended for breeding purposes.
Side Effects: Udder development, swollen or enlarged vulva and high tailheads may be observed in implanted heifers.
How Supplied: Encore Implants are supplied in cartridges of 20 implants each.
NADA 118-123, Approved by FDA
Manufactured by a non-sterilizing process.
Elanco, Compudose, Elanco and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks of Elanco or its affiliates.
Distributed by Elanco US, Inc., Greenfield, IN 46140, USA
Product of Germany
To report adverse events, access medical information, or to obtain additional product information, call 1-800-428-4441